Selenium is one of those trace minerals that you don’t hear a lot about, but it is an essential mineral that is very important.
Selenium benefits include but are not limited to:
- Enzyme function – some enzymes require selenium to carry out their function
- immune systems as an immune booster. Selenium has a pivotal role in disease defense
- eyes – selenium is found in the tissues of the eyes, heart, pancreas,red blood cells, tissue elasticity
- heart – a selenium deficiency can lead to heart failure, but it is vital to have organic forms of selenium! Selenium supplements have been found to be harmful.
- pancreas – selenium benefits the pancreas by helping to prevent pancreatic cancer. Again, organic sources must be used, not supplements.
- red blood cells – selenium protects red blood cells and cell membranes
- tissue elasticity – selenium preserves tissue elasticity by delaying the oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- sexual reproduction – selenium benefits the male reproduction by increasing sperm count and sperm motility.
Selenium has been believed to decrease the risk of breast, colon, lung, and prostate cancer.
Since selenium benefits major organs of the body so vitally, it is important to get your daily supply of it from natural sources. The RDA is 55-70 mcg.
For the daily dosage and supplementary ranges, toxicity, augmenting nutrients, anti-minerals, animal sources, plant sources, bodily parts affected, bodily functions facilitated, deficiency symptoms, and therapeutic applications associated with selenium (as well as for every other vitamin and mineral), see our Nutrition Chart Book.
The functions of and organs that selenium benefits help the entire body achieve and maintain optimum health!